- Contestants must be residents of Albany, Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Jefferson, Lewis, Onondaga, Oneida, Oswego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, St. Lawrence, Warren, or Washington Counties.
- The Competition is open to instrumentalists in grades 7 through 12. This includes Woodwinds, Brass, Strings, Keyboard, Percussion, Piano, and Harp.
- Contestants must be prepared to play a piece or movement from the Repertoire List FROM MEMORY. The length of the work is limited to 15 minutes or one movement. Please click here for the repertoire list.
- Contestants must provide their own instrument and accompanist. Contestant must audition in person. No recordings of accompaniments permitted. If contestant is unable to bring their own accompanist to the competition, a list of pianists in Potsdam is available upon request. All fees associated with hiring a local accompanist are the responsibility of the contestant.
- Contestants must bring one copy of their audition piece (solo part and piano reduction or score) to the auditions.
- At the discretion of the judges, contestants may be interrupted or subjected to time restrictions.
- Parents, teachers, and friends are invited and encouraged to attend the Competition.
- The decision of the judges is final and the judges reserve the right not to award any level of the prizes.
- The Competition will take place in Hosmer Hall, Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam, with a Steinway Grand Piano.
- Winner must be available for performances with the Orchestra of Northern New York on April 24th and April 25th 2021. The audition piece will serve as the performance piece.
- Second & Third Prize winners must be present at the April 24, 2020 concert to receive prize monies.
- All photos taken are the property of The Orchestra of Northern New York and may be used for publicity purposes.
- Entries must be post-marked by January 29, 2021. No late entries will be accepted.
Each entry must include:
A. Completed Application/Teacher Certification Form. Only completed forms will be considered. Click here for an application form.
B. Non-refundable application fee of $50 made payable to The Orchestra of Northern New York.
C. Photo and 100-word bio
- Mail completed application form, entry fee, photo, and bio to:
The Orchestra of Northern New York
Attn: Young Artists Instrumental Competition
P.O. Box 488
Potsdam, NY 13676