- Contestants must be residents of Albany, Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Jefferson, Lewis, Onondaga, Oneida, Oswego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, St. Lawrence, Warren, or Washington Counties.
- The Competition is open to instrumentalists in grades 7 through 12. This includes Woodwinds, Brass, Strings, Keyboard, Percussion, Piano, and Harp.
- Contestants must be prepared to play a piece or movement from the Repertoire List FROM MEMORY. The length of the work is limited to 15 minutes or one movement. Please click here for the repertoire list.
- Contestants must provide their own instrument and accompanist and must audition in person. No tapes of accompaniments permitted.
- Contestants must bring one copy of their audition piece (solo part and piano reduction or score) to the auditions.
- At the discretion of the judges, contestants may be interrupted or subjected to time restrictions.
- Parents, teachers, and friends are invited and encouraged to attend the Competition.
- The decision of the judges is final and the judges reserve the right not to award any level of the prizes.
- The Competition will take place in Hosmer Hall, Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam, with a Steinway Grand Piano.
- The first place winner MUST be available for performances with The Orchestra of Northern New York on April 18 and 19, 2020. The audition piece will serve as the performance piece.
- Second & Third Prize winners must be present at the April 19, 2020 concert to receive prize monies.
- All photos taken are the property of The Orchestra of Northern New York and may be used for publicity purposes.
- Entries must be post-marked by January 24, 2020. No late entries will be accepted.
Each entry must include:
A. Completed Application/Teacher Certification Form. Only completed forms will be considered. Click here for an application form.
B. Non-refundable application fee of $50 made payable to The Orchestra of Northern New York.
C. Photo and 100-word bio
- Mail completed application form, entry fee, photo, and bio to:
The Orchestra of Northern New York
Attn: Young Artists Instrumental Competition
P.O. Box 488
Potsdam, NY 13676