- Contestants must be residents of Albany, Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Herkimer, Madison, Montgomery, Jefferson, Lewis, Onondaga, Oneida, Oswego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, St. Lawrence, Warren, or Washington Counties.
- The competition is open to instrumentalists in grades 7 through 12. This includes students studying Woodwinds, Brass, Strings, Keyboard, Percussion, Piano, and Harp.
- Contestants must be prepared to play a piece or movement from the Repertoire List FROM MEMORY. The length of the work is limited to 15 minutes or one movement. Please click here for the Repertoire List.
- Contestants must audition live in person, unless the ongoing pandemic changes ONNY's plans in which case students will be instructed otherwise.
- Contestants must submit a copy of their audition piece (solo part and piano reduction or score) at the in-person audition or by email to email@example.com one week before the competition should it change to an online event. If there are any questions about the availability of an extra score, please contact Nancy Peschko, Competition Coordinator.
- At the discretion of the judges, contestants may be interrupted or subjected to time restrictions.
- The decision of the judges is final, and the judges reserve the right not to award any level of the prizes.
- The competition will take place live in Snell Theater, Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam, NY. If plans change, notice will be posted on this website. Masks may be required.
- The First Place winner will be invited to perform, if possible, with the Orchestra of Northern New York on Saturday and Sunday, April 29 and 30, 2023.
- Second & Third Place winners will be presented their $300 and $150 cash prizes respectively at the Saturday, April 29, 2023 concert.
- All photos submitted and taken the day of the event are the property of The Orchestra of Northern New York, and may be used for publicity purposes without compensation.
- Entries must be post-marked by Friday, January 27, 2023. No late entries will be accepted. Each entry must include:
A. Completed Application/Teacher Certification Form. Only complete forms will be considered.
B. Non-refundable application fee of $75 made payable to: The Orchestra of Northern New York. (Partial scholarships for the application fee are available. Please contact Nancy Peschko, Competition Coordinator, for details.)
C. Electronic file of photo and 100-word bio (Both are required for the application to be considered complete.)
D. A PDF of required music.
Email completed application and ALL required materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
OR mail them to:
ONNY Young Artists Competition
P.O. Box 488
Potsdam, NY 13676
Rules for the Young Artist Challenge - coming soon!