Board Strategic Plan
On April 20, 2023, the Board of Directors of the Orchestra of Northern New York voted to approve the following strategic plan.
To enrich the quality of life for all people in our region by sharing the power of music to inspire, educate, and entertain
To have people of the North Country embrace ONNY as the leading producer of orchestral music of all genres
Strategic Positioning Statement
The Orchestra of Northern New York will serve as a reminder to all of the ability of music to convene and celebrate community. Our success will be demonstrated by the growing size and diversity of our performances and audiences. in turn, ONNY will be recognized, valued, and supported by residents, visitors, and institutions throughout our region.
Statement of Values
Excellence – All ONNY undertakes – artistically, managerially, and operationally – is done with the goals of achieving the highest quality possible with the resources available and evaluating its efforts towards continuous improvement.
Community – From musicians, staff, teachers, and school children to sponsors, donors, audience members, advertisers, and underserved people, ONNY engages all people in a spirit of collaboration by fostering transparency that builds trust.
Respect – ONNY honors its past traditions while striving to develop inclusive and culturally-rich programs now and for the future, and creates mutually beneficial relationships with its musicians, audience members, indeed, all its stakeholders by effectively communicating in a variety of media/platforms.
Sustainability – ONNY responsibly prepares for future growth by developing new audiences, renewing existing support, identifying new revenue streams, and monitoring expenses to efficiently use its resources.
This is designed as a two-year plan to support the transition from our retiring Music Director through a successful search and hiring of the organization’s next artistic leader. We recognize the critical role that the Music Director will play in charting our artistic direction and strategic goals. Therefore, this short-term strategic plan ensures that our organization is strong and well-positioned to support the incoming Music Director in his/her artistic vision.
1. PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
GOAL: To offer a broad spectrum of musical performances and educational opportunities to engage musicians and audiences that enhance diversity and inclusivity efforts.
- Develop comprehensive annual plans for all performances and programs. (ongoing)
- Support, develop, and promote all musical offerings for new audiences and communities. (ongoing)
- Support guest conductors and incoming Music Director in successful implementation of their programs and performances. (2023-2025)
- Continue programming to encourage young musicians and develop new audience members. (ongoing)
2. AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
GOAL: To reinvigorate our audience through strengthening ties to existing members and broadening participation by inclined members.
- Develop and implement a formal, structured outreach and communication plan to identify and welcome new audience members. (2023-2024)
- Optimize investment of marketing dollars by assessing costs and value. (ongoing)
- Strengthen existing relationships with stakeholders and develop new partnerships. (ongoing)
3. FINANCE AND FUNDRAISING
GOAL: To solidify the organization’s financial stability by expanding and diversifying funding to support growth.
- Support bookkeeping to ensure accuracy and timeliness of financial records and monthly financial reports to the Board of Directors (2023)
- Expand Board engagement in fundraising. (2023-2024)
- Develop plans, policies, and procedures to support all fundraising strategies (2023)
- Enhance business and corporate support through grants, sponsorships, and advertising (ongoing)
4. HUMAN RESOURCES
GOAL: To ensure the Board of Directors, management, staff, musicians, and volunteers have the necessary support to effectively contribute to the success of the organization.
- Re-evaluate organizational charts, lines of authority, and accountability (2023)
- Re-invigorate ONNY’s volunteer pool (2023)
- Engage in succession planning for key staff and board roles (ongoing)
- Enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of governance practices (ongoing)
- Evaluate and review the scale and model of musician fees for future modifications (2024-2025)
- Assist in the assimilation of guest conductors and Music Director into the organization (2023-2025)
GOAL: To maintain infrastructure that supports efficient and effective artistic, financial, administrative, and technological operations.
- Invest in technology to improve operations and impact. (ongoing)
- Assist the guest conductors and Music Director in implementing professional rehearsal practices and procedures. (2023-2025)
- Identify and provide sufficient staffing and volunteer support that enables the successful execution of goals listed in this strategic plan. (ongoing)